Exercise and stretching go together like mimosas and Sundays. We know how essential it is for healthy muscles and joints, yet most of us barely schedule it in our workout routines.
Do these yoga moves after each workout on a yoga mat. You'll see increased muscle recovery and flexibility, so you can put one hundred percent into all of your workouts.
Here's our top 5 stretches:
For hamstrings & calves.
- Come onto all fours, on your hands and knees. Your knees should be directly below your hips and your hands a tad forward of your shoulders.
- Spread your palms wide and tuck your toes under.
- Lift your knees away from the floor. Keep the knees slightly bent and the heels up. Lift your tailbone up and back towards where the ceiling and the wall meet behind you.
- When this feels comfortable, start to lower the heels or bend one knee at a time to "walk the dog".
Hold this pose for 30 - 60 seconds.
For hips, shoulders, & back.
- Kneel on the floor with your knees wide apart.
- Bring your big toes together and sit your hips down on your heels.
- Walk your hands forward and lay your stomach down between your thighs.
- Continue walking your hands farther away from your hips to draw your spine long. Then rest your forehead down on the mat.
Rest here for 60 seconds - a few minutes.
For abs & back.
- Lay flat on your stomach. Bring your palms face down directly under your shoulders.
- Slowly extend your arms to lift your chest off of the floor.
- Make sure to keep your shoulders away from your ears and turn your tailbone down slightly, so you don't over extend in your back.
Hold this position for 20-30 seconds.
Low Crescent Lunge
For hip flexors.
- Start standing on your knees.
- Step one foot forward, enough so that your knee is directly in line with your ankle and doesn't go past your big toe. If it is, take a bigger step forward.
- Keep your torso up right and push your hip forwards so you feel a stretch in the front of your back leg.
- After 30 seconds, alternate sides.
Hold this position for 30 - 60 seconds.
Reclined Pigeon Pose
For the glutes & hips.
- Lie on your back and place both feet on the ground.
- Cross one leg over the other thigh, to make a figure four.
- Wrap your hands around the backside of the thigh of the of the bottom leg.
- And gently pull the bottom leg closer to your chest until you feel a stretch in the glutes.
- After 30 seconds here, switch sides.
Hold this position for 30 - 60 seconds